Emergency Department & Urgent Care
Is your dog or cat having an emergency right now?
Call us at 301-662-CARE (2273) to let us know you’re on your way
- If your pet cannot walk or be easily carried, use a blanket or a sheet as a stretcher. If you are worried that you cannot handle the pet without being injured, please call for advice. Small animals should be in carriers, if possible.
- If your pet has ingested something that you think may be poisonous, we may recommend that you call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435. There is a charge for this call.
CARE Veterinary Center’s Emergency Department is open 24/7, 365 days a year. We’re always fully staffed with veterinarians and technicians who are ready and waiting to help you and your pet. Our state-of-the-art facility gives us the best technology, resources and staff to diagnose and treat any medical, surgical or emergent condition.
- 24-hour veterinary and nursing staff prepared for all your pet’s life-threatening and critical care needs
- Advanced diagnostic capabilities including ultrasound and digital radiology
- Physiological monitoring to track the patient’s condition, support the treatment plan and immediately identify new medical emergency needs
- On-site blood bank for blood and plasma transfusions
- Advanced anesthetic monitoring capability
- Experience in assessing pain and administering appropriate pain management
If your pet is experiencing any of the following symptoms, they may require emergency medical att...
We treat the most critically ill or seriously injured patients first. This is called "triage."
Overnight Critical Care
Your primary veterinarian can also transfer a sick pet to us for overnight critical care needs an...